Sunday, June 3, 2012

'Dem Shippers

On tumblr, there are "multitudes among multitudes" of fangirls. Because the general populace age for tumblr are teenage girls (you think I'm kidding? The average male/female ratio is 1 male for every 7 females) and because they need breaks from school, they tend to watch a lot of TVs and movies and get heavily emotionally invested in the characters of such media.
Because these are also teenage girls that we're talking about, they also tend to argue over who they want to get together with who. This is called shipping.
The term comes from "relationship". "Shipping" is the act of any kind of pairing between one or more personages. Although it has included objects, such as Ash and a pokeball.
Shipping and shippers are extraordinarily common on tumblr. If you don't ship something and don't know what shipping (or OTP - One True Pairing) means, you're considered uneducated and will therefore be educated, whether you want to or not.
This brings me to my point. For Camp NaNoWriMo, I have been writing a project that I almost had halfway done about 7-8 months ago. Then my computer deleted the text, and I had to start over. It deleted 78k of text. T_T That really didn't make my day.
ANYWAY, in this story, there's a 44-year-old MMC (main male character) named Terrance. There's also a 14-year-old girl named Skylii. After re-reading several parts of the story over again, I've come to the conclusion that some of these people are going to ship Terrance and Skylii together.
There's nothing wrong with shipping people. However, I see this in the same light I see people shipping Roxas and Axel from the Kingdom Hearts series.
Incestuous and really really creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment