I'm tired. And from more than just trek. But I'll post about that later.
First of all, it’s not a vacation. Trek is hard. That’s the point of Trek. To learn and to grow and to get sore, so that you have some small inkling of what it took for the original Pioneers to travel across the plains and get to Utah.
For those that have never gone, it’s basically where you dress up in “Pioneer” clothes (cotton shirt and pants, hat, etc) and pull a handcart along a trail. A handcart consists of a flat area with two large wheels (they were almost as tall as me) on either side, and a yoke in front where two people could stand at either side and pull the cart. Those that don’t pull the cart walk alongside or behind the carts.
We had 9 carts total, and we had around 41 people per company. Our ward made up 3 companies, and each company had 3 carts.
Josh and I pulled the cart by the yoke for our family and for another family, the Bradley’s.
As you probably figured out, Trek consists of a LOT of walking. They weren’t kidding when they made the primary song that goes “the pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked.”
We had a “Women’s pull”, which is basically a small reenactment where the men have to go away (during the actual historical pioneer trek, they were called away on missions or to go to the US vs Mexico war) and the women and children had to pull the carts.
It was insanely difficult to stand by the side and watch them pull. They were going up a hill, and the men couldn’t step in and help until they gave a signal. The women were strong (which didn’t really surprise me) and made it all the way up, but once we were at the top I could tell that everyone was really tired.
That was all the first day. If there’s one thing that I took away from Trek, it’s that the human body has endurance and can take more than you think (in most cases).
The second day was a bit easier. More walking, nothing special really happened, except that we played games in a small meadow. I fell asleep through most of it in our crappy tent (the front didn’t close, and it had 2 large holes in it).
The last day (yesterday) was okay. We walked and finally reached base camp (we trail we went alongside was a loop) and were able to set up our tent and rest more.
Morgan had like 3 guys crushing on her, and during the 2nd day and the 3rd day they spent a lot of time talking to her and us during meals and breaks.
Last night we saw the “Mormon Miracle Pageant” which, to be totally honest, was hard to stay awake through. My head was pounding from allergies and I was sore and starting to get a little stiff in my arms and shoulders.
After the MMP we drove home. I fell asleep in the car but apparently we got lost and a family in the ward had to help us get back to camp. Josh, Jaxon, and I slept in the car (which was a horrible idea) because we thought it’d be better than sleeping in that dumb tent. It kind of worked out but in the end I think we might have been a bit better off sleeping in the tent.
And now I’m home, sunburned, tired, sore, exhausted, hungry, but happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment